Integral to our mission of amplifying the often silent or silenced voices of the world Christian movement, each year the executive director invites one artist in residence to participate in OMSC@PTS’s Residential Study Program for a full academic year (September-May).
While all former OMSC@PTS artists in residence have worked in visual media, we are hoping to expand this program to include majority world artists who work in painting, photography, film, architecture, sculpture, literature, music, or dance. While pursuing their work, the artist in residence participates in OMSC@PTS programs and seminary community life.
OMSC@PTS staff and the seminary’s art@pts committee work with the artist in residence to schedule opportunities for them to share their work at our Annual Gala, in classrooms, and in other venues on campus and beyond.
Watch the video below for a meditative and prayerful tour of the OMSC House and some of our art below. As you explore and ponder the artwork we’ve collected over the years, consider the importance of faith and art in the mission of God and the church.
* * *
What does OMSC@PTS provide the Artist in Residence?
- For foreign nationals, round-trip economy airfare and ground transportation to and from Princeton.
- A fully-furnished apartment with utilities (heating/air conditioning, WiFi included; cell phone and laundry not included).
- Monthly stipend.
- For foreign nationals, cost of medical insurance as required by J–1 Visa SEVIS Program.
- Studio space in the basement of Erdman Hall.
- Travel budget to visit museums and galleries in New York and Philadelphia.
- Allowance for supplies, equipment, and books.
*Currently, the total award is $25,000 for the nine-month academic year.
What commitments does the Artist in Residence make to OMSC@PTS?
- The artist in residence agrees to actively participate in the intellectual and spiritual life of OMSC@PTS and the seminary community.
- The artist in residence commits to sharing their work with the seminary community and other constituencies.
- The artist in residence allows OMSC@PTS to share their work created here to promote our artist in residence program. The artist in residence agrees to donate one work for live auction at the Annual Gala and one work for the OMSC@PTS permanent collection. The earnings from the work offered at live auction are applied to the artist in residence budget for the subsequent academic year.